Tuesday 18 June 2024

Post-Production Tools

When editing my first and final edit, a tool I mainly used was the blade tool. I used the shortcut key (command + B) to make my editing more quick and efficient. I used this tool for cutting up videos to shorten them so I can have flawless transitions, while also using the tool for audio files to help cut up any unwanted noise that creeped into the recordings.

Here is an example:



Another technique I used were the effects presets. I used the "gaussian blur", "letterbox", "Prism" effects and more, to make the film more cinematic, and emphasise certain scenes like the hallucinating scene. I dragged the effects to the desired clip and adjusted the settings to make it effective and fit my short film.

On the top right corner, you can see an example:


A technique I carried out when editing the sound in my short film was cutting the original version of the non-diegetic soundtrack and fading it into the instrumental, to smooth over into the cinematic aspect of the film. By doing this I also lowered the volume of the instrumental so it doesn't overpower the dialogue.

Here is an example:



An editing tool I used when editing my short film was that I did colour correction on every clip used. This was so I can fix any underexposed clips, and adjust the look to keep the audience engaged and satisfied with the look of the shots. I did this by enabling colour adjustments and changed the amount of exposure, contrast, brightness, highlights, saturation, shadows, and midtones, all so the quality is higher.

Here is the before and after colour correcting:

BEFORE:



AFTER:



Finally, a tool I used to control the sounds in different clips was the volume adjuster. I used the fade in/out slider in the audio adjuster of clips, and even muted some, so that unwanted noise wouldn't come through carelessly. 

Here is an example:












No comments:

Post a Comment